Strip Muting----Tuning Times---- Etc.

TunerJeff@aol.com TunerJeff@aol.com
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 11:53:12 -0400

Dear List-Folk,

     I have to admit... I expected a "hotter" reception to my long-winded
post. I layed a personal opinion on the line, and got a very pleasant
reception from my brethren (and sistren) out here on the Net. I expected to
be severely chastised by those with differing opinions, and defensive
offenses (...no... not football!) from those who tune pianos in short order.
I expected to start a thread on a few subjects,  so I didn't add the
following questions to my (already too) massive post. With your permission, I
have a question or three.

1. How long do YOU take to tune a piano?
(Was my analysis of tuning-times THAT reasonable!? Or did everyone fall
asleep at the monitor!?)

2. What do you strippers use for strip-mutes?
(I use a combination of "temperament felts" from suppliers and sliced action
cloth.)

3. Do strip-mutes quiet untuned strings for you, too?
(I REALLY have a problem with unwanted harmonics from some pianos.
Occasionally I'll reach in and insert another strip, just to quiet percieved
noise from out-of-tune strings.)

In anticipation,
Jeffrey T.Hickey RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services