Strip Muting----Tuning Times---- Etc.

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 13:45:19 -0600

At 11:53 AM 13/08/96 -0400, Jeffrey Hickey wrote:

>I expected to start a thread on a few subjects,  so I didn't add the
>following questions to my (already too) massive post. With your permission, I
>have a question or three.
>
>1. How long do YOU take to tune a piano?

I take as long as it takes... <g>  Unless a piano is only a few cents out I
tune it twice... The first purely with the SAT using a single thin
double-wedge rubber mute often (but not always) using the pitch-adjustment
program in the SAT on all the plain strings. The second pass I'll either
strip-mute as much of the piano as I can and use the SAT along with aural
checks to get it as close as I can or else use the double-wedge. The
technique I use varies with the piano.

As for how long it really takes, the average is about 75-80 minutes with a
total time spent with the cusomer of about an hour and a half. I might add
if a pitch adjustment is less than about 5-7 cents I don't charge extra, but
if I charge extra I spend extra time.

>2. What do you strippers use for strip-mutes?

Temperament strips from suppliers. I prefer the tapered green ones to the red.

>3. Do strip-mutes quiet untuned strings for you, too?

Yes... particularly when the dampers don't work as well as they should.

			John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com