Stringing Scales

John W. McKone mckonejw@skypoint.com
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 13:25:00 -0500

>  I routinely rescale the pianos that I restring, including (the smaller model)
>Steinways, and can say from experience that once you get above the problematic
>tenor area, wire size makes little difference to the tone - within reason, of
>course. However, changing treble wire sizes *can* make a noticable
>difference in
>the inharmonicity - enough to change the way the piano tunes.

Mark,

Are you saying here that inharmonicity has no effect on the perception of
tone?  If so that seems to me to be (sorry, but I can't resist it) a bit of
a stretch.

Inharmonicity, and therefore tunability are far to integral to what we
percieve as tone to be seperated in the way you seem to be suggesting.
(IMHO)

John McKone, RPT
Minneapolis, MN
http://www.skypoint.com/members/mckonejw