S&S accelerated action

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Thu, 15 Aug 1996 13:38:07 -0800 (PST)

List,
	Several years ago, I worked for a piano dealer who had 2 used
Steinways on the floor.  Both had the accelerated action.  Both had
severe cases of pulley keys ( worn balance holes ).  A rep from a good
competitive company explained to me that Steinway has this problkem a
lot because of the accelerated action.  He then drew me a picture
showing the curved felt punchings and explained that it was caused
bacuase the keys rock in an arch rather than on a pivot point like a
traditional action.
	Another good technician  told me that this is false and that the
Steinway is simply a different design and that both actions rock in an
arch.
	Both technicians are well respected in the PTG at the highest
levels and have names for themselves.  Who is right?

Ron Shiflet, RPT
Phoenix Chapter