What I think

Paul Stephens pauls@ieighty.net
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 16:22:30 -0700

DAN G. LITWIN wrote:

> Sorry to continue with politics, but I will not relent...
>
> Barrie Heaton say that Piano Technician licensing laws won't be bad.  After
> all...
>
> >this works perfectly well in the UK. already with the medical prefession
> >Dentists, Vets, and Gas Fitters, so there is no reason why the rest of
> >the prefessions and tradesmen cannot be the same.
>
> 1) The practical aspect:
>
> I don't know much about your country, but my US experience leads me to doubt
> that your situation has been so fine.  For in the US, when the licensing of
> doctors occurred (1910 thru 1920), a FULL HALF of the medical schools were
> CLOSED DOWN.  And wouldn't you know it - only the American Medical Association
> (AMA) style schools (allopathy) stayed open.  And of course, in 1910 the AMA had
> the biggest lobby.  So all the others were shut down until 80 years later when
> they are now politically strong enough to have made a come-back.  These include
> chiropractors, herbologists, homeopathic doctors, holistic doctors, acupuncture,
> etc. To this day, politics chooses what medicine we can have.  Absurd!
>
> No one needs laws to have the AMA certify their doctors.  They only need laws to
> outlaw the competition and raise prices.  I repeat.  Politicians will play games
> with the rules.  They don't care about pianos.  Only about power.
>
> 2) The moral aspect:
>
> No one has the right to make choices for others.  You have the right to choose
> for yourself only.  Any "reasonable" examples you have are simply examples of
> brute force, because that's the only reason to use government - to force others
> to do something your way.  The peaceful way is through persuasion.  The RPT
> status to which I aspire will be mine to advertise.  I will boast.  And I will
> charge more for my superior service.  But my method of aquiring the business of
> my competitors will be through peaceful persuasion, not by the force of
> government.
>
> Dan Litwin
> San Diego
>
> PS - AMA doctors are the technological decendants of "doctors" who once "cured"
> people with blood-letting and LEACHES...Dan,

Did you see the report this week of a study that men gain some protection
against some cancers by donating blood regularly?  Leeches are still used
today on reattached severed parts (hands, fingers, feet, etc) because
they secrete a localized anticoagulant that helps reestablish
circulation.  Maybo those 18th century docs were on to something.

Paul Stephens