Soundboard stress cracks

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sat, 17 Aug 1996 00:00:50 -0700 (mst)

Mike:

The proper nomenclature for this problem is First: pressure ridges
(from too high humidity - not the manufacturer's fault). Second: cracks
after 2 or 3 winters of extreme dryness (again, not the manufacturer's
fault).  Third: wider cracks and rib separation. Only the latter 2 seem
to have any bearing on the tone sometimes, but not always.

Jim Coleman, Sr. (AZ)