Soundboard stress cracks

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Sat, 17 Aug 1996 07:53:51 -0500

This quote is from the 1888 Steinway & Sons catalog:

"Dampness will also swell and raise the soft fibres of the sounding-board,
thereby forming ridges, which by the inexperienced observer are mistaken for
cracks, while in reality affording the best proof of excellent, well
seasoned material.   All this occurs chiefly in the summer season, and the
best Pianos, made of the most thoroughly seasoned material, are necessarily
the most affected by dampness, the absorption being more rapid."

Michael Mohr pointed it out to me.

David Stanwood