Wien, Wien nur du allein -

Ernest Juhn 71341.1370@CompuServe.COM
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 20:07:36 -0400 (EDT)

Carol,
The real Boesendorfer factory is in Wiener Neustadt - not in Vienna any more.
Not important enough to visit. Although interesting. If you are interested in
composers etc,  few were born there - but MANY went to Vienna to die!  Mozart,
Schubert, Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner, Mahler, Suppe..
 When you are at the famous St. Stephens Cathedral (a must to see) walk over to
the "Figaro House" which is a museum now (the Austrians have learned from the
Americans and made everything a museum). Try to "bribe" the attendant and
(close) look at the piano -- (I did). Also notice (in the case behind) that his
last concerto, #27, could not be played on that instrument--- not enough keys--
What a genius!
Look at Schubert's birth place (he was a real Viennese) and also visit the
Brahms apartment across from the "Theater and der Wien". That is where the first
Magic Flute was performed (actually the second). When I was there last, they
played "Cats".  You can also see Betthoven's last place and the tavern across
the street, where he used to have his beer.
If you are in the area of the 9th district and you have an interest for
psychiatry, you can always visit Freud's apartment.  Why do I know? I was born
in that area -- a few years later --.
If you are planning on opera or symphony, tickets will be hard to get - in fact
I am not sure that the season will already have begun when you get there. If you
are VERY eager, talk to the doorman of your hotel, he can help for a modest
bribe..  (The tickets will be a lot higher!!)
If that does not work, take a street car ride straight into the Vienna woods and
listen to it's tales. Unfortunately, even the music is not quite as it used to
be and the famous Vienna pastry is still good but not as I remember it as a
child (about 100 years ago).
Stay away from the Sacher -- or at least just look from the outside, it is a
tourist trap. If you can't get into the opera, take a tour, it is worth it.
Notice the famous "Riesenrad" (Giant wheel) which is visible from all over and
is part of the scenery of the Third Man movie (old).
No charge for the travel guide, additional info is available upon e-mailing to: