Chickering

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 10:52:17 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, George. Chickering Brothers pianos were made in Chicago, and date from
the late 19th century. Not only were they related to the better-known
Chickering and Sons of Boston, but Clifford C. Chickering of the Chicago
branch of the family learned piano-making by working in Chickerings Boston
factory for a number of years. I believe that all grands produced by
Chickering Brothers of Chicago carried either the name "Acoustigrand",
or the earlier "Capacoustic" grand. These piano were very well regarded
in their day and were noted for their tone-quality and projection, both
of which were the result of a soundboard design resembling Steinways. I've
rebuilt a couple of 6'2" Acoustigrands in recent years and they both turned
out to be exceptional instruments, although not in the class of a Steinway
or Mason, etc.  As to the scales of these pianos, I'm sure that I have them
around here somewhere and could dig them out for you. But, come on, George,
dust off your micrometer and "mike" those old strings as you remove them!
I may be in the minority here, but I ALWAYS mike every string I remove from
a piano, even if I know the scale and even if it's marked on the plate or
bridge. Old habits die hard. And it's interesting to note that sometimes
even factory stringers don't always follow their own scales! That Chickering
Brother's Acoustigrand should prove itself to be a worthwhile rebuild.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net