Soundboard Chemical Treatment

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 16:47:46 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Barb!

I'm inclined to agree with you. It seems that the uninformed are forever
confusing the soundboard and the pinblock. However, it COULD be that some
enterprising technician reasoned that if TPT can cause the wood in the
pinblock to swell, maybe it could do the same thing for cracks in the
soundboard. ANYTHING is possible. I mention this because just when I
thought I'd seen it all, I came across a restrung piano in which the cracks
in the soundboard had been "repaired" by the expedient of covering them
with masking tape which was then stained to match the old board! The
"rebuider" had to be a charter member of the BPTA-- That's the BOZO
PIANO TECHNICIANS of AMERICA. Unfortunately that renegade organization
appears to have an extensive membership list.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net