triming dampers

Don Rose drose@saskmaple.net
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 19:54:47 -0700

Hi all,

I have come across a reproducing Steinway grand with damper problems. The reproducer is ancient history (gone). The dampers are working well, in fact too well as the wedges are preventing the strings from vibrating freely. I am looking for a way to cut th
e wedges off so they will clear the strings. Damper lift is a normal amount. The instrument has wedge dampers all the way through. I tried searching the archives--lots of discussions about leaking and bleeding but not much on cutting felt.

Is there a good way to do this?

Is there a good way to do it without removing the dampers from the piano (i.e. trim just the bottoms off)?

Has any one tried an electric razor?

Regards to all,

Don Rose. RPT