Laminated Versus Solid Sound BoardsRe: Soundboard Chemical Treatment

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 13:21:18 -0400

Arnold;
"This stuff in the above post about semi-permiable glue joints and 71% less
likely to get out of tune"

This is not what Jim said/paraphrased, what he did say was--
" "71% less responsive than traditional spruce plank soundboards to ambient
humidity changes" "

  While I agree about your conclusions, I also know that Jim D. is a good
enough tech not to have meant 71%....out of tune. Even a slight change in
soundboard geometry will cause a change in the tuning of any instrument, and
ambient temperature/humidity changes are the major reasons for this. The only
good reason for laminated boards IMHO is that they are much less likely to
split or crack and in all other repects are inferior to solid boards.
Jim Bryant (FL)