Help to reduce hammer shanks

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 16:53:21 -0500

List,
   Could someone give me some fairly explicit instructions on the best way
to thin some new treble hammer shanks OR point me to the right spot in the
archives or a Journal article. I've searched the archives with every
combination of words I can think of, but no luck.
   I'm assuming it would be best for them to be thinned. If so, how many
should be done? How thin? Where should the thinning start/end?
   If it makes a difference, there are 22 notes in the upper treble section.
   I normally buy the pre-thinned shanks, but this time I'm using an old
set and they're all the same thickness. These will be for a set of Isaac
hammers, recommended to me by several of you, being installed on an old
Marshall & Wendell grand.
   Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893