Proof "reading" Accu-tunings

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 18:00:39 -0700 (mst)

Dear List:

I've tuned for George Winston many times and I always felt a little in-
sulted in receiving the detailed instructions which his home piano tech.
made up.  Basically, he just wants the piano right.  His music requires
good dampers, but seldom uses them.  It requires that the shift pedal
clears the left string (typical Steinway regulation) because he needs
the etherial quality that only can be produced that way.  The unisons
better be really solid, because he plays FFF in the shift position.  I
usually ingnored the instructions because this particular piano was always
kept in peak condition.  He always liked it and gave me a complimentary
copy of his latest record each time.

Jim Coleman, Sr. (AZ)

PS the thing that drive artists up the wall is in arriving to find the
Concert piano not in good condition.  Any decent Venue will always make
sure their piano is ready ahead of time.  Contracts should be written
to provide for a thorough regulation each year in addition to the regular
tunings.  This should be done just before the season starts each year.