Stringing Scales/least of problems

Brent.Fischer@asu.edu Brent.Fischer@asu.edu
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 21:50:20 -0700

>String scales are important but...
>
>Don't you just hate it when someone goes through the trouble of putting in a
>new pinblock and then drives the pins in so deep that the strings hit the
>plate. I recently took over management of a local piano shop and walked into
>this one.  Nice set-up for someone else.
>
>What is the vote guys...do we redo or cut our losses and let it go?
>William C. Sadler-RPT    Home  : 612-339-5182
>School of Music          Office: 612-624-8575
>Piano Technician         Pager : 612-538-3577
>University of Minnesota  E-mail: sadle001@maroon.tc.umn.edu

Hello William,  I need more info to provide a recommendation. Is this a
customer or shop piano?  Is this a Steinway or Mason?  Is it a tuning
problem now?  Chances are good that anyone responsible for signing off
on the workmanship would also be supervising wrestplank  replacement.
Insight into your next move depends on how well the block is fit.  If
the fit is not to your tolerances and it belongs to a client start over,
regardless of brand. If it belongs to the shop just set it aside for a year.

Best of luck in your position. I have found shop management real easy
when there is an unlimited budget for quality parts and an attitude for
the pursuit of excellence. Distraction management skills will be needed
and best learned quickly.

Brent Fischer
Arizona State University

Brent.Fischer@ASU.EDU