tumbling piano -Reply

David Graham U40DCG1@WPO.CSO.NIU.EDU
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 22:49:05 -0500

There will not be any "free money" involved in this situation.  The state of
Illinois is self-insuring, so the University will be on the hook for anything
we do.  The piano is really the minor part of the problem.  The hard part
will be a) getting somebody to make a decision and b) finding a 9' to rent
for the semester  while ours is gone.  I certainly agree that insurance
companies are too often looked at as sources of free money.  In any
case, I doubt we'll ever learn exactly what happened.  The piano
appears to have been airborne when it landed on the edge of the lid, and
then dropped flat onto the lid. There are actually skid marks on the stage
from the lid.