Cracks and ridges (Article, Long)

Pianocraft@aol.com Pianocraft@aol.com
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 11:30:31 -0400

Many of you have requested a copy of the article first appearing in my news
latter “Hartman’s Fine Piano Rebuilding” It will be easier to send it to the
list than to each of you individually.
As regards soundboard ridges and cracks; I presented a class at last years
Convention in Albuquerque “Wood behavior and Woodworking Techniques” on wood
technology that contained a more detailed account of the problem.

“Building a Better Soundboard”
by John Hartman
Copyright 1995

Building a quality soundboard requires the consideration of a number of
issues; selecting  and seasoning the wood, machining and joining the wooden
components, considering design and proper dimensions, setting bearing,
notching the bridges and finally applying a finish and installing the
soundboard into the case. Each of these elements must be accomplished in a
manner consistent with two goals; the production of a full and beautiful tone
and the construction of a durable soundboard. This short article will show
how this is achieved at each stage of soundboard building.

First of all I have abandoned the practice of buying pre-made soundboard
panels.  The use of  these pre-made panels is common to all but a few piano
rebuilders. While these panels are easy to use and may be a help to busy
shops that lack the knowledge and equipment to make their own, it is my
experience that using them can lead to short lived soundboards. As you will
see the durability of our work is a primary concern

The right way to make a soundboard is to hand select the wood. Proper
seasoning and drying are essential. While this requires making the panel
oneself, it assures that the wood has been selected with the following
concerns in mind. When selecting the wood (first done at the lumber yard or
saw- mill and again before glue up) the primary concern is that the annular
growth rings are perpendicular to the board’s face. Lumber yards are allowed
to call some wood quarter sawn that shouldn’t be used in a soundboard. The
cause for concern is that wood has unequal radial and tangential shrinkage.
The glue lines will have less stress on them if the adjacent boards have
similar rates of shrinkage. Another concern is  the density or spacing of the
growth rings. I have found it best to stick with the traditional practice of
no fewer than ten rings per inch. Also, individual boards should be no wider
than 5” and no narrower than 2 1/2”. The best boards should be used in the
most active part of the soundboard; nearest the bridge. Obviously, wood
defects such as knots, stains, worm holes, shakes and pitch pockets will be
carefully culled. For appearance sake, the boards used in each soundboard
will be matched in terms of color and value. I have installed special light
fixtures in the shop to help with color matching.

Once the wood is selected for a soundboard it will be planed on both surfaces
and the edges will be carefully machined to create perfect mating surfaces
for the glue. Using a pre-made panel, one would be unable to select the wood
and even more important, would have to settle for a less than ideal adhesive.
Because of the demands of high production most pre-made panels are glued
together with a  modified PVA (Titebond) type glue. This adhesive creates
problems in gluing up the large, thin panels for soundboards. Tending to
absorb moisture at a faster rate than the wood, it often results in raised
glue lines in the humid season. I use traditional hot hide glue in all the
critical joints of the soundboard. Hide glue moves at the same rate as the
wood and the panels stay flatter. The glue lines are consequently less
stressed
..
The dimensions of all the soundboard components must be carefully considered
if a full and round tone is to be obtained.  The first consideration is the
thickness of the panel and the tapering of the edges. I have visited shops
where tapering of the soundboard was minimal at best. Without an adequately
thinned edge, an otherwise well constructed board will not function at it’s
full potential. The piano will sound smaller than it is; a 7’ piano will
sound more like a 6’ piano.  Full tapering of the soundboard edge helps more
of  the  surface to vibrate, making the motion of the board more efficient.
When more of the soundboard is vibrating more air can be set into motion and
the piano will have a larger sound and an improved bass. To visualize this,
consider what would happen if the edges where made thicker; the board will be
stiffer and much less soundboard surface will vibrate. I use a substantial
taper: 20% to 30% thinner at the edges than in the middle of the board.

I have also given careful attention to the selection and dimensioning of the
soundboard ribs. Each model piano has a proper rib scale that relates to the
panels’ dimensions, wood species and soundboard taper. I make my own ribs
individually for each soundboard. I find that the Steinway pianos (and many
others) work best with pine ribs in the bass and tenor and spruce ribs in the
treble. While more costly, the improvement in tone and ease of voicing are
worth the trouble.

Glueing the ribs onto the panel is probably the most critical part of the
soundboard building process. Ribbing a board effects both the piano’s tone
and it’s durability. Because the soundboard panel expands and contracts as
much as 1/2” across the grain during normal seasonal changes in relative
humidity, careful consideration must be given to the exact point in this
cycle to glue the ribs onto the panel. If the ribs are glued on when the
panel is too wet the soundboard will be prone to tension cracks in the dry
seasons and may have too little crown. If the panel is too dry during the
ribbing process it will compress to the point of failure during the summer,
causing ridges in the panel surface. I have found that ribbing the board with
the panel conditioned to an equilibrium moisture content of 5.5% to 6% will
produce a durable soundboard for our North American environment. I have
designed a chamber for the panels with  specially calibrated gauges for
conditioning the panels. Panels are brought directly from the chamber and the
ribs are immediately glued in order to assure that the panel is ribbed at
5.5-6% EMC.

After deciding on the best EMC for ribbing, the soundboard press must be
designed to achieve adequate crown. The curve of the press should create
approximately 5/8” of crown on the longest rib, measured before the board is
installed into the case at 7-8% EMC. I have found the amount of crown to be a
problem for many rebuilders. On a recent visit to a shop that rebuilds more
than 100 pianos a year I saw two soundboards ready to be installed. Nobody
seemed to be watching so I examined them for crown. Almost no crown was
present, and this was in September, so excessive dryness could not be blamed!
It looked as if they had no means of controlling the moisture content in the
panels prior to ribbing. The raw panels were simply stacked on a shelf and
allowed to acclimate to the relative humidity in the shop, whatever it
happened to be. This careless approach means that the amount of soundboard
crown will be inconsistent, varying from season to season.

As you can see I am concerned with tonal aspects, such as crown and
dimensioning, as well as the durability of the soundboard. Besides being
particularly concerned about the adhesives used, wood selection and moisture
content, I am equally concerned about the finish used on our soundboards.
While the finish can not entirely prevent the wood from reacting to relative
humidity, the right finish will slow down the rate at which the wood will
react. With the proper finish, the soundboard can be protected from the
temporary extremes in the environment, for example the two weeks in the
summer when the relative humidity rises to 85%, or the weekend in February it
dropped to 20 below zero and the indoor R.H., fell to 15%! The traditional
thin finish provides almost no protection for these extremes. I am using a
catalyzed varnish and building the film to a thickness that will provide a
measurable degree of protection. This process has no detriment to the tone
and the appearance is superior.

If you are have any questions about soundboard replacement or other piano
rebuilding processes please feel free to contact me: by mail John Hartman
RPT, 45 Academy St., Beacon, NY 12508, By phone (914) 838-3635 or by E-mail
pianocraft@aol.com.