Yamaha keytops

DBHersh@aol.com DBHersh@aol.com
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 11:27:16 -0400

<< Many of you know of the problem Yamaha had in the near past with
 their first generation of Ivorite.  We have all seen the yellow
 keys staring out at us like coffee/nicotined stained teeth.
 What you may not know is that Yamaha readily wants to rectify the
 problem and get those yellow keys out of sight.  But instead of
 sending us a set of keytops, Yamaha insists on replacing the
 entire set of keys.  I am doing my first key replacement of this
 type for Yamaha in the next few weeks.  The first step is to
 take careful measurements of the capstan center to the backcheck
 center and the capstan center to the back of key where it chops
 down to the keylifter felt.
 Question...Who has done this and what are the things to look out
 for.  I imagine capstan and backcheck adjustment.  Leveling and
 aligning keys.  Dip........

David and fellow listees,
   I have done a few sets of the Ivorite replacements and it sounds like you
are thinking along the right  path.  I almost always had to bend the
backcheck wires back just to get clearance to begin the regulation. You will
probably also have to do some easing at the balance rail hole. Why not shoot
some McLube on the pins while your at it? I plan on spending the better part
of a day on it. It depends on what kind of neglect the piano owner has put up
with,irregardless of the key replacement. If there was alot of neglect I
would sure tell them that the key replacement is only cosmetic and if they
feel a big improvement it is because of the other things you did. It sounds
like you are working on a professional size instrument so maybe neglect is
not as big a concern. BTW when you change a set for a concert grand they send
the whole keyframe, at least they use to.

Doug Hershberger,RPT