Hypodermic needle use and storage

Frederick G Scoles scoles@Oswego.Oswego.EDU
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 12:32:47 -0400 (EDT)

Related to the discussion of needle use for application of flange bushing
solutions like Protek CPL, I would like to mention a few safety items I
have learned; most of these are probably common sense.  The law and
common sense dictate that when one has any needle in a tool box or case,
that it be kept securely out of reach and out of view unless it is in
use.  This is especially important if dogs (i.e.,tool thieves) or small
children are around.  Some states require a special license to purchase
needles and also require syringes and needles to be locked up when not in
use.But NY State Health Dept. inspectors told me their major concern is for
those folks who leave items lying around for others to see.  They just
don't want any problems.  Needles come in various lengths and tips.  I
have found that the blunt-tipped ones are much safer, such as the
applicators available from Mr. Vitti, Schaff, Beethoven (Macy Blackman),
etc.

Fred Scoles, RPT