Lessons learned the hard way!

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 17:02:00 -0500

List,
   Why is it that most of us, especially me, seem to have to learn our
lessons the hard way? At least when you do, you rarely forget it. I just
learned another lesson!
   Tip, primarily for those who don't do much rebuilding: when installing
new hammer shanks on a grand, be sure the width of the new shank at the
wide part is VERY close to the width of the old shank!!!! This would
probably apply more to the older, off-brand type of piano than to the newer
ones.
   If the shanks are too wide for the screw hole spacing, you'll have to
sand them down to make clearance room for the adjacent shanks and knuckles.
This is especially true if you're reusing the old flanges. Check it
"before" you install the shanks on the rail. My new shanks were a full
1/16" wider than the old ones.
   I have this habit of just putting them all on the rail loosely, with my
fingers turning the screw and "then" tightening them all down. Guess what I
have to do now? Aaaaarrrggg!
   Ask me how I know all this. Go ahead, I dare you!!! <G>

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893