Yamaha keytops

Joseph Alkana jfa19@nwlink.com
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 18:02:46 -0700 (PDT)

At 11:27 AM 8/23/96 -0400, you wrote:

><< Many of you know of the problem Yamaha had in the near past with
> their first generation of Ivorite.  We have all seen the yellow
> keys staring out at us like coffee/nicotined stained teeth.
> What you may not know is that Yamaha readily wants to rectify the
> problem and get those yellow keys out of sight.  But instead of
> sending us a set of keytops, Yamaha insists on replacing the
> entire set of keys.  I am doing my first key replacement of this
> type for Yamaha in the next few weeks.  The first step is to
> take careful measurements of the capstan center to the backcheck
> center and the capstan center to the back of key where it chops
> down to the keylifter felt.
> Question...Who has done this and what are the things to look out
> for.  I imagine capstan and backcheck adjustment.  Leveling and
> aligning keys.  Dip........
>  >>

>David and fellow listees,
>   I have done a few sets of the Ivorite replacements and it sounds like you
>are thinking along the right  path.  I almost always had to bend the
>backcheck wires back just to get clearance to begin the regulation. You will
>probably also have to do some easing at the balance rail hole. Why not shoot
>some McLube on the pins while your at it? I plan on spending the better part
>of a day on it. It depends on what kind of neglect the piano owner has put up
>with,irregardless of the key replacement. If there was alot of neglect I
>would sure tell them that the key replacement is only cosmetic and if they
>feel a big improvement it is because of the other things you did. It sounds
>like you are working on a professional size instrument so maybe neglect is
>not as big a concern. BTW when you change a set for a concert grand they send
>the whole keyframe, at least they use to.
>
>Doug Hershberger,RPT
>
>Just a side story here...

Tuned a Yamaha C7 for a customer that had the discolored Ivorite keys. When I suggested that I could get Yamaha to replace those keys the customer was very grateful and asked me to  procede. I contacted Yamaha and they sent out a form to complete, which c
onsisted of the dimensions already posted before.
 I waited for what seemed like a reasonable time, but the keys didn't come to me. So I first contacted the customer to explain the delay, but found out that Yamaha had sent the new keys and authorization to procede to another technician who does mainly de
aler work for Yamaha, which I do not. Job was done. Finished. Know what else? The customer also has a Steinway B and an M! Of course by the time the other technician had installed the keys and super regulated the piano he looked like a superstar to this c
ustomer. Talk about being out in the cold from the customer as well as Yamaha.........Go figure!!!!

Joseph Alkana  RPT