Lessons learned the hard way!

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 10:40:06 -0500

Hi Newton,
   Sigh....... table saw? You mean some people actually have things like that
in a university shop? <G> Maybe in my new shop in the new building next year.
   Now, anytime I need power tools other than a drill press (table model) or
a drill, I have to go over to the scene shop in the Drama dept. I do free
tunings for them, so I have access to their tools (and sometimes their
help) when I need it.
   Anyway, I got the job done with a moto tool for the shanks (re: Scott
Johnson's suggestion) and the drill press for the wide part of the shanks
with a jig similar to what Ed Foote suggested. It isn't "quite" as pretty a
job as I would have wished, but it's decent and will work fine.
   Thanks to all who made the suggestions for shank thinning.

Avery

>        If you have a table saw with a SHARP carbide blade you can create a
>fixture or jig to hold the new shanks firmly while passing through the blade.
>If you take only a few thousands off each side, carefully, you will get clean
>cuts and thinned shanks AND flanges.
>        Lots of luck and be careful.

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music