Wire Cutters-

bwaller@sunrise.alpinet.net bwaller@sunrise.alpinet.net
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 09:07:13 -0600

I've used adhesive tape on my fingers for restringing.  It helps keep my
hands from getting really sore from handling the wire.  In addition to
perspiration and finger oils, it helps keep blood (from the inevitable wire
punctures) from the wire.  Blood stains wire quickly.

Bruce

At 10:56 AM 8/22/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Folks,
>
>     Yup, I use a pair of diagonal cutters, too.
>
>     I used the fancy side-cutters from the supply houses (...'til they
>broke), but have found that a good set of "plain vanilla" diagonal cutters
>are lighter, way cheaper, and just as efficient. My set are about 7"-long and
>been in service for at least 12 years. They are dedicated to cutting
>piano-wire only... and sit in the wire-box waiting each time I need 'em.
>    I certainly will buy a set by Craftsman or other "Lifetime Guarantee!"
>supplier next time they need  replacement ...at current rate of
>deterioration, mebbe 2010 or so.
>
>Question;
>     When re-stringing do you wear gloves? Or do you use talc on your hands
>to eliminate perspiration/finger oils? Or did you never think of it? I'm
>curious about you re-building-shop-types out there... what DO you do???
>
>Truly,
>Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
>Oregon Coast Piano Services
>TunerJeff @ aol.com
>
>ps- I use buckskin (deerskin) gloves. Good control & comfy.

        _________        ___
   |  Bruce Waller   \
   |Piano Tuning & Rpr \__
   |   406-366-1438        \      ___