Cracks and ridges

Brent.Fischer@asu.edu Brent.Fischer@asu.edu
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 17:43:35 -0700

On Friday, 23 Aug. 1996, John Hartman wrote:

> What I find particularly absurd is the idea that ridges in soundboard
> indicate superior wood handling and seasoning.

Dear Mr. Hartman,

   It is to  what degree of ridging in a Steinway soundboard that
concerns me mostly, since to duplicate their processing methods, which
deliver maximum tonal impact  and output, it is to be expected to have
wood joint compression. I am not in favor of excessive ridging but the
act of crowning a soundboard with flat sugar pine ribs into a
fifty-five foot radius caul at around percent 5% MC  is going to result
in joint compression. Also setting the downbearing by compressing the
board will add to the ridging  effects. The allowable amount in my
opinion should not result in an earthquake fault or rib separation.

I will  combine my response to your article on building a better
soundboard on this post so please excuse. I find the intent of
the document informative and thank you for taking the time to
send it out. I am sure you have earned undeniable success in the
rebuilding business as I have but by using different approaches, and
these differences  I believe are healthy to continuing progress for
the art, however I must take exception to your statements on the
use of pre-made panels for board construction.

Currently there are about four suppliers of panels which are
acceptable and one I find that is exceptional. Andre Bolduc, RPT
is manufacturing panels  of the highest standards and in my experience
are very well made and deliver no less and it is simply not fair to use
this forum to possibly influence the general population into believing
pre-made panels are unacceptable or inferior.

To keep this post on a positive note your use of hide glue in
panel construction and also varnish for finish are certainly the
best choices. Fine Woodworking magazine did an analysis on  moisture
barrier properties and the results were varnish being  substantially
more protective than other coating types.

Sincerely,
Brent Fischer

Brent.Fischer@ASU.EDU
Arizona State University/Tempe