squeaky damper tray

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 19:35:52 +0000

> Date:          Tue, 27 Aug 1996 00:32:30 +0000 (GMT)
> From:          bill.stratton@chemek.com (Bill Stratton)
> Subject:       squeaky damper tray
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu

> Help.
> Today I serviced a new Samick SG-205 (6'8"). The complaint was a squeaky
> sustain pedal. Pretty common in Asian pianos. Upon investigating it
> wasn't the pedal at all, but squeaked when I lifted the damper tray with
> my fingers. After proteking the flanges to no avail, I lifted all the
> dampers and held them up with the sostonuto. No squeak. I tugged and
> pulled on the tray while lifting it to be sure it didn't squeak under
> stress (or the weight of the dampers). Lifting each damper with my
> finger produced no squeaks. Finally, I isolated one primary damper that
> was the offender (G5?-right there above the strut), but it would only
> squeak while lifted by the tray and not when I lifted it with my
> finger). The problem isn't limited to just the one damper but several
> above it also, but mostly just the one. I lubed the flanges. No change.
> I put in piece of felt on top of tray felt. No change. I put a little
> talc on the friction point of the tray felt and the capstan of the
> damper lever. No change. I even pulled out the dampers themselves and
> the squeak was still there.
>
> What I am missing here? Seems too obvious a squeak to be so difficult to
> correct.  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Bill Stratton RPT
> ---
>  ~ SLMR 2.1a ~

Bill,

It is probably the damper tray bracket flanges.  If it is a
Kawai you can bet on it.  Loosen the bracket screws and swing
the underlever system towards you a bit.  With a long screw
driver you can loosen the brackets and repin them.  The tray
should feel wobbly if thats the problem.

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA