Stethoscope

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 15:55:09 -0600

At 05:29 PM 26/08/96 -0400, Dick Day wrote:

>Does anyone have an alternative to this for finding buzzes, rattle etc. I
>though about getting tubing from tropical fish store or perhaps using tubing
>and connectors normally used for player pianos.  Don't even know how much a
>used stethoscope would cost, but I'll bet I don't want to buy a new one.

Go down to your local automotive specialty store and pick up an engine
stethoscope. It's similar to a medical one, but instead of a flat pad sensor
it has a long (8"?) thin probe which is ideal for literally pin-pointing
unwanted (or wanted) vibrations whether they're in a car or a piano.

I think they sell for about $15.

			John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada