Strike Point Revisited

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 18:16:21 -0500

Hi list,
   In relation to the recent discussion on strike point, I'd like to ask a
question.
   There was discussion about the problems associated with using the old
grand hammers to determine the best strike point. Because of wear, they are
no longer striking at the original strike point. Agreed.
   But with the action away from the piano, assuming the original was
correct, wouldn't it be (theoretically) possible to duplicate the original
by using a shank length measurement, thereby taking the wear of the
original hammer out
of consideration? I'm referring to a measurement taken from the center pin to
a line drawn vertically down the side of the hammer, right in the middle of
the molding. I usually check that anyway, using a standard measurement (I
think) of 5-1/8" (or 130 mm) to compare the existing measurement to.
   I realize that one should always check the strike point in the piano, but
in situations where the piano is a good distance away, the hammers have to
be ordered and the action worked on while waiting, couldn't the original be
duplicated that way?
   You realize, of course, that this is just a "theoretical" question! For
discussion purposes only. <G>

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston