Steinway Hammers

Ted Simmons ted@palmnet.net
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 12:03:00 -0400

I just reviewed the archives on day 120.96 wherein Rory Foder made a
complaint about the hammers he received from Steinway for a 45" upright.  I
had a similar experience.  I had a 45" Steinway upright in my shop for a
re-stringing and re-hammering job and the customer insisted on genuine
Steinway parts.  So I ordered the bass strings and hammers from Steinway.
The bass strings were o.k. but the hammers looked like they were for a toy
piano.  The lowest bass hammer in the new set was 1/8" less across the
shoulders than the original hammer.  I sent the hammers back and ordered a
set from someone else (I forget who).  Just thought I'd respond to Rory's
post.  Be your own quality control!

Ted Simmons, FL