Front Rail Pins

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 11:25:21 -0400

    Hi Avery,

    1)  I used about 40(glue)/60(water) (Any aliphatic resin, water based
    glue would work - tightbond, etc.).
    2)  I filled 'em up (You have about a 1/32" gap to close. I would test
    ONE or TWO holes first to determine if you'll need more than one
    treatment, how much sizing solution to add, and to get a good feeling of
    the final results before you treat the entire keyframe - always a good
    idea.)
    3)  Let it dry before testing the fit.

    Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

    John Piesik

John,
   Thanks for your reply. Sorry I'm so long getting back to you. It's
"that" time of year for me!
   Two questions: 1) what proportions of water & glue did you use?
                  2) how much did you put in the keypin hole? Fill it up, or
                     what?

Avery

>    Had the same problem with a 1919 George Steck grand I rebuilt a while
>    back.  I replaced all the keyframe pins, but first I had to re-size the
>    holes to fit the new pins.  This is what I did:  with all the pins out,
>    dropped a water/glue sizing solution into each of the holes, allowed it
>    to dry, and presto, super-tight holes to accept the new "under" sized
>    pins.  Worked great.
>
>    John Piesik

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music