harpsichord rebuilding and temperaments

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Sat, 31 Aug 1996 13:49:36 -0500

Steven,
   Sounds like you're thinking about building a harpsichord. There is a
harpsichord list but it is not devoted exclusively to technical subjects
like pianotech is (almost). They talk about performing, building, etc.
However,  there are professional harpsichord builders on the list, such as
representatives from Hubbard and Zuckermann,  along with individuals who
have built their own from a kit. So you can usually find an answer to
almost any question you might want to ask.
   The Piano Page has a link to it from the Usenet Groups and Mailing Lists
section. Or you can send an e-mail message to:

         listserv@albany.edu
and in the body of the message put:

subscribe hpschd-L yourfirstname yourlastname
(i.e. subscribe hpschd-L Steven Moore)

>Can anyone recommend a detailed book on the beginning of harpsichord repair
>and rebuilding?

   My Pianotek catalog lists a book called Three Centuries of Harpsichord
Making by Frank Hubbard (stock # BKSP-27) for $33.50.
   Schaff lists The Modern Harpsichord by Wolfgang Zuckerman. I'm sure that
some of the other suppliers carry books like this as well.

>Does anyone know of a harpsichord list-serve that would have techie
>stuff on it like this one?

>Can anyone recommend a practical book on the discussion of temperaments and
>how tuning for each is accomplished?

   Owen Jorgensen has written "Tuning the Historical Temperaments by Ear"
and  another simply called "Tuning" (I believe). I understand you can get
them from Schaff, even though they're not listed in the catalog I have.
   Hope this helps.