double flanges

waco@ari.net waco@ari.net
Sun, 01 Dec 1996 17:46:16 -0500

Dave Porritt, RPT writes:

>I have a neighbor (an engeneer) who wants to put new action parts in his
>old Brambach upwrong.  He wants to do it himself.  He brought some sample
>parts over yesterday and this piano has the double flange that holds both
>the hammer but and damper lever.  I told him I didn't know where such
>things can be purchased but that I would ask this list.  I have given him
>my view that the piano is not worth the time and money he is looking to
>invest.  The lack of these parts will be the killer of this project.  Yet
>you can tell he really wants to do it.  If anyone knows where these parts
>are available, please let me know.

Don't discourage your neighbor.  If he attempts the project (no matter what the
result) he will, in the future, hold you and your opinions in much higher
esteem.

APSCO lists double flanges in their catalog, as does Schaff.  Also thanks to the
advent of CA glue, a lot of old and irreplaceable wooden action parts which
would be otherwise unuseable can be repaired.  I like Bob Smith Super Gold thin
CA.  There is an art to using this stuff, so practice on junk pieces first.

Many readers may look down their noses at the use of CA for flange repair, but I
have tested a lot of repaired parts to destruction, and the CA joint is stronger
than the wood. How long will it last?  Who knows? If the part is irreplaceable
any other way, what have you got to lose?

Frank Weston