Working for a College

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Tue, 03 Dec 1996 08:29:21 -0600

Dear Friends,

I really appreciate your help on the list!

I am doing some part-time tuning for our local College, Missouri Southern
State College.  I am under the impression by the music secretary that I am
the only technician doing any work at the college now, as one of the other
tuners in our area quit tuning.  There are about 20 pianos at MSSC, but so
far I have seen only about 9 or 10 of them since last January.

We have two wonderful Steinway D's, one in a small recital hall (used more
frequently), and one in a large concert hall (about 1200 seats, piano used
much less frequently).  I have tuned one of the Steinway D's (in the small
recital hall) frequently, about every month or more often, as it is used for
recitals and concerts.  However, to my knowledge, the practice room pianos
and many of the professor's studio pianos have not been tuned since January
as far as I can tell.

Our piano professor has approached me several times about how terrible the
tunings on the practice room pianos sound, and won't I please do some
tunings on the practice room pianos.  Well, the department head has to
approve every tuning or other repair, and I don't have approval to tune the
pianos yet.  If I don't get approval, I don't get paid!  (I am beginning to
see why the pianos are in such bad shape.)  So, I haven't done those tunings
yet, and now I feel as if I am in a tug of war between the piano professor
and the department head.

Here is an exercise in logic for you...

I was told to wait until after the weather change in late October/early
November to do the practice room tunings, so the weather change wouldn't
knock the tunings out.  November rolled around, and I prompted the music
department about the practice room pianos.  I was told to wait a few weeks.
Now I am told that there is no sense in tuning the pianos now, because there
are only two or three weeks of school left before the break.  Not only that,
but the heat is turned way down in all the buildings since there aren't any
classes.  So now I am told to wait until January to do any tunings, after
they turn the heat back up in the buildings.

I gave you the clues... did you find them?

1.  Recital Hall piano is the only one being tuned
2.  Other pianos not being tuned

Guess which piano is being used the most?

Because the practice room pianos are not being tuned, the teachers use the
recital hall to practice, and are also letting their best students practice
in the recital hall.  I am not doing anything other than tuning there,
because I do not have approval to do anything other than tuning.  So now, I
am noticing a discernible decrease in the tone of the piano, probably from
heavy use and low maintenance.  (There are also some dampers that are not
working properly on the concert D - the piano professor has complained about
them, but I do not get paid if I fix them without approval!)

I am sure you are all in the same boat with budget constraints and getting
approval for every little repair or adjustment.  What do you do to get the
attention of the music department that the pianos are all going down hill
quickly?  So far I have been taking extensive notes on the condition of each
piano, and giving these notes to the music secretary.  How do you get
approval to do the work that the pianos need?

I am willing to be patient, at least I don't have to practice in the
practice rooms!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sincerely,
David

David A. Vanderhoofven
Joplin, Missouri, USA
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild
e-mail:  dkvander@clandjop.com
web page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/
#pianotech page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/ircpiano.html