action return noise

FSSturm@aol.com FSSturm@aol.com
Tue, 03 Dec 1996 17:41:38 -0500

I service a Mason & Hamlin CC (ser #1601, but I am quite sure it was made in
the 60's) that has a bad case of action return noise: a clattering sound when
the key is released. I finally traced it down to the jack tails slapping
against the letoff buttons. In a way, the noise is less troublesome than the
feel through the key to the finger.

Fortunately no one has complained (just something I've noticed over time, and
finally found time to look into), but I want to address it since the
instrument is in a fairly prominent performance venue. Any suggestions? I
have ascertained that the letoff rail is tightly attached, all action part
screws are tight, and regulation is excellent.

Many thanks,
Fred Sturm, Albuquerque