Broadwood Grands

Dave Doremus dbd01@gnofn.org
Wed, 04 Dec 1996 21:34:06 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 1 Dec 1996 Maxpiano@aol.com wrote:

> You are probably aware that most Americans fall head over heels in love with
> the used furniture you discard, load up containers with it and ship it here
> to sell as "Antiques."  In that way, we who service pianos get to see the
> dregs that you all are happy to get rid of.

I wouldnt consider Broadwoods or Collards or Clementi or Kirckmans dregs
by any means. They do lack sustain in the treble but the workmanship in
the action and case is far superior to anything being done today except by
the best early instrument makers. My feeling about the pins is that the
threaded idea was not successful and the pianos became unusable quickly
enough that the action is often in very good shape. I have experience with
epoxy alone and with plugging the block, both work well. I have not
managed to reuse the original pins, they tend to break when brought back
up to pitch.

Dave Doremus
dbd01@gnofn.org
New Orleans