Opinions On Insta-coiler

Murray A. Seminuk seminukm@cadvision.com
Wed, 04 Dec 1996 17:12:31 -0700

>  A technician friend in California called last night to tell me about
>his just spending $55 for an Insta-coiler from Schaff.  He has not used
>it yet, so has no opinion yet as to whether it is a worthy tool.  I
>heard from the head of the piano school which I attended that he bought
>a coil-making device years ago (not necessarily an Insta-coiler) in
>which the internal threads quickly stripped out and he wished he had
>spent his money on something else.  Does anyone on the list have an
>opinion about this Instacoiler?  Most of my stringing needs are
>replacing individual strings on pianos, as opposed to complete
>restringing jobs.
>
>Arnold Schmidt, Raleigh, NC
>
>Hi Arnold
I to purchased an Insta-coiler not too long ago.I found that it did a nice
job of making coils after getting it adjusted properly.The only thing that
disappointed me about it was that for the price I thought it could have been
made of a harder material.After using it for only 2 pianos it showed
considerable wear at the point the string enters to be wraped around the
pin.Other than thatit works very well.If you are buying it to use only on 1
or 2 strings I think it is too slow and too exspensive for just that .I have
seen a cheaper hand held coiler in catalogs but better yet you can make your
own.I have seen them illustrated in the Journal.

Murray Seminuk ,Calgary,Alberta
                  Canada