Riddle Anyone?

Richard M remoody@easnetsd.com
Thu, 05 Dec 1996 10:55:02 -0600

 Only when the spring was set quite strong, and
> the mortise was at least .015 above the top of the jack, would the piano
> repeat well enough, but it felt terrible!!

How come the mortice had to be that high? !

 1.  He did a beautiful job of filing hammers and bolstering the knuckles,

hmm filing the hammers makes the repitition springs stronger.

Assuming this isn't anything that would be covered by the FM as in RTFM,
and if I were Yahama, I would not quarantee the action if the knuckles had
been "bolstered", the knuckles are suspect.   The concept of bolstering
knuckles doesn't make sense, but that's another thread.  Beyond that it
seems like replacing knuckles is just as fast or faster, then threading
yarn through each one.    Any   how replace one and see what  happens.  If
no difference, send an email to tech@yahama.com and go out for coffee.

	You said it wasn't  in the keys, which means you have to remove the
action to check this.  All of the hold down screws are  tight, and no
spacers if any got lost?
Two hours to fix? sounds like you were undoing one of those things which
ought not to have been done.  : )

Richard Moody

----------
> From: A440A@aol.com
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Riddle Anyone?
> Date: Tuesday, December 03, 1996 5:41 PM
>
> Greetings all,
>
>      It was one of those great days,  a fellow tech had called for
advice on
> the Yamaha action he was trying to regulate, after he  had spent three
days
> trying everything to make it work, and no luck.  He brought it over to
my
> shop so we could both figure on it.  I found the problem by the time he
came
> back in from the car. (Sadly, not through brilliance, but I had spent
some
> time earlier on the identical problem, so knew where to look).
>
> 1.  Yamaha G-2,  approx 10 yr. old
> 2.  heavily filed hammers, but not at all past usable
> 3.  Tefloned and bolstered knuckles, ( he had put several strips of yarn
> through each).
> 4.  Pinning was fairly loose, but not wobbly
> 5.  all felts,  balancier (repetition lever),  adjustment, drop leather,
etc.
>  were in good shape
> 6.  graphited surfaces in good condition
>
> Problem:
>
>       Excessive spring pressure was needed to return the jacks,  and
even
> then excessive height on the balancier was required, and several notes
would
> skip.
>       When the action train was set to the factory nominal specs, there
was a
> profound loss of repetition.  Only when the spring was set quite strong,
and
> the mortise was at least .015 above the top of the jack, would the piano
> repeat well enough, but it felt terrible!!
>
> Clues:
>
> 1.  He did a beautiful job of filing hammers and bolstering the
knuckles,
>  aside from that and turning the adjustment screws, he had done nothing
else
> in the action.
> 2.  The action was all factory original, rails were in the proper place
> 3.  The repair required two hours and when finished, there was approx.
200%