Opinions On Insta-coiler

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Thu, 05 Dec 1996 22:56:59 -0800

Arnold.Schmidt@BBS.delta.com wrote:

 But what is a Scortino
> hand-held?  I am looking for something to possibly use while the pin is
> still in the piano, as opposed to winding the coil on a different pin,
> then putting it on the pin in the piano.  I have a device to use to wind
> a coil on a pin not in a pinblock.

Arnold, the Scortino Hand Held Coil Maker is stock #16451, page 25 of
the APSCO (American Piano Supply) catalog. I prefer winding the coil on
a dummy pin and transfering it to the piano for two reasons.  1. You
only have to back the tuning pin 1/2 turn to install it rather than the
2-1/2 turns necessary to wind the coil in the piano. If the pins are not
as tight as they should be, you run a good chance of making them
considerably looser.  2. A hand-held coiler will allow you to hold
tension on the string while you're winding the second coil so the string
doesn't jump off the hitch pin! (I hate walking around the piano to put
a vise grip on the hitch.)  If you put your dummy pin in a vice, and cut
down through the top of it to the becket hole using a hack saw with two
blades side by side, You can lift the completed coil straight up after
winding it.

--
Warren D. Fisher
fish@communique.net