S&S Sound - 2 -Reply

William Schneider schnei78@pilot.msu.edu
Sat, 07 Dec 1996 12:19:49 -0500 (EST)

I agree that hammer shoulders should be pliant, but the question is: How
pliant? The problem I described using Steinway Method B has to do with getting
too much hardener to high in the hammer, and not penetrating to the core. I
used to be strongly against shoulder hardening too. But some hammers need it,
having hard crowns and mushy cores and shoulders.

The real issue here is one of observation, diagnosis and skill. I think we all
tend to become more doctrinaire than is good for us; I know I do. I've finallyy
come
to the point where I never say never regarding the various voicing techniques.
I let the hammer tell me what it needs and then choose the appropriate
technique.

By the way the old Steinway manual also warned against deep crown
needling, which is part and parcel of the "new" Method B. This means, that
"the Steinway sound" is not a stable entity. I can think of at least five major
versions of it, not counting those created by inadvertance.

William Schneider

wrote: > Yes, the hammers could be better, but they could be worse. The latest