Pinblock Treatment Humidity Question

Michel Lachance chance@InterLinx.qc.ca
Sun, 08 Dec 1996 19:20:08 +0000

Bonjour Randy

Thanks a lot for your valuable informations about Dampp Chaser
systems.  The great advantage of the humidity control system is that
it does not only work on the tuning pin stability but on the stability
of the whole piano.

I have installed more than two dozens of these systems up here in
Canada.  I don't find however that the systems are equally efficient
on both upright and grand pianos.  The fact that the uprights benefit
of a closed area helps creating a "micro-climate" (do you say that in
English) inside the instrument.  I have few grand owners who still
have tuning stability problem even with a six or seven parts
Dampp-Chaser system, specially in Winter when it gets realy dry over
here.

I heard about someone who put a kind a skirt around the grand in order
to prevent the humidity from going out.  I was myself thinking of
putting a plastic film underneat the cabinet, the kind we used for
isolating windows in winter.  Any tricks, hints, comments?

Michel Lachance, RPT