Humidity Question

Barb Barasa bbarasa@mind.net
Mon, 09 Dec 1996 07:42:49 -0800

>I heard about someone who put a kind a skirt around the grand in order
>to prevent the humidity from going out.  I was myself thinking of
>putting a plastic film underneat the cabinet, the kind we used for
>isolating windows in winter.  Any tricks, hints, comments?
>
>Michel Lachance, RPT

I have no experience installing Dampp-Chasers, but our colleague Mark Foss,
RTT, in Elburn, IL, (who I don't think is on this list yet) has a Steinway
grand in his house and he rents it out to churches, etc.  The winters in the
Chicago area are quite severe.  He simply puts a small humidifier (a few
gallons) that you can get from the hardware store under the piano, and has a
cover which goes almost down to the floor.  He says the piano stays very
stable, even when it is moved out of the house.  (The humidifier goes with
it.)

Gerry Hubka, Mark's parnter in crime, who IS on the list I believe, can give
you more details.

Gerry, where are you??

Barb Barasa
Ashland, OR