Harpsichord Questions

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@APS.UoGuelph.CA
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:26:50 -0400 (EDT)

Wire is a problem on modern versions of old instruments. There is
nothing that exists now that is even close to the old wire...I mean
pre-1850. Malcolm Rose makes and sells iron and brass wire for
historical harpsichords and fortepianos, and this is about the best
you can get at the moment, but this is not the same as the old wire.
The old iron stuff is much less metallic sounding and mellow. It is
also much more flexible than the Rose wire, and incredibly more
flexible than modern steel (Youngs modulus 168 GPa vs 190 GPa for
Rose B, vs 220 GPa modern steel). The flexibility is, in part, due to
a zero (sic) C content, but it's high on P, making it pretty strong
(tensile strength c1000+ MPa vs c2000MPa modern steel). The thin
gauges used on harpsichords provide additional stength as the thinner
wire is stronger. This is one of the reasons the scale had to
shorten on pianos around the early 1800-1820s when they used thicker
wire.

Anyway the old harpsichord that is the subject of discussion is
probably an early kit scaled to use modern wire (or phosphor bronze).
Zuckerman or Hubbard wire is no doubt the right stuff to use. It will
sound bad no matter what you do. If it is voiced correctly you cannot
interchange jacks, since plectrum strength will vary. I don't believe
nine (now 5) days is realistic.

Jim wrote:
> Does it have oblong tuning pins or square?  The purists use the oblong
> with no hole for the becket ( dumb idea, but cheap ).  The sloppy coils
> do two things:  increase the bearing on the Agraffe bar, and help avoid

It will certainly have zither (square head) pins if it is an old kit
hpd. The oblong becketless pins on old instruments are not a dumb
idea. It seems like it because you are in the context of modern
wire...old wire is so flexible it is a cinch to wind tighly without a
beckett. Even Rose A wire is too stiff to get it tight and it kills
your finger. Modern wire...go figure. Oblong pins are easy
to make.

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
tel: 519-885-2228