follow up on statistics

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:02:10 -0500

Don;
Unfortunately we have such a tooner here in town and he has been here for
quite a few years. He is always busy and his schedule, he says, runs thusly:
First tuning 8AM -last tuning 10PM.  He is serious about this and has even
been known to break into churches in the middle of the night to tune their
pianos. He is a marginal tuner at best and is less than a marginal tech. He
has been known to leave a customers house with a piano half tuned because he
had another appointment! (yes, the lady paid him and she knew that the piano
had not been tuned!!!) He remains active in this area and has a huge customer
base. You might ask how he gets by with this and the answer is simple.
Customer Contact.
  This is a lesson in persistence for the younger (in the trade) techs. He
constantly calls his customers and asks for tunings and other work as well as
referals. He is still calling one of my favorite music teachers after ten
years of her telling him not to call again. Persistence and SERVICE pays off
as this story illustrates.
  As to whether he actually tunes 2000 pianos a year,I don't know but it
certainly would not surprise me to find out for sure that he does.
Jim Bryant (FL)