Harpsichord inharmonicity

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 13:01:12 -0600 (CST)

Barb,

Please share any enlightening directions that you have in mind. This=20
topic came up more than once on the harpsichord list as well, but didn=D5t =
go=20
very far. I would suggest that you have hit on exactly the point which is=
=20
most confusing. There are so many different variables which seem to=20
produce conflicting effects regarding inharmonicity. How do we isolate thes=
e=20
variables to understand better their relationships?  It is a fact that=20
the degree and control of string displacement also effects=20
inharmonicity, independent of other string specs. It is also true that=20
harpsichord wire is displaced greater than piano wire in normal playing.=20
Therefore, I can only guess that harpsichord wire is naturally less=20
inharmonic somewhow despite its less tension, and that most peoples=20
strong preferrence for pure intervals on that instrument has more  to do=20
with specific partial prominence and distribution than with actual=20
inharmonicity.

Hope that makes sense.

Dennis  Johnson=20
St. Olaf College