Mystery #4

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 14:56:07 -0800 (PST)

Liszt,
	I've tried to get into a local college for 5 years now and today
I got a call.  Actually, I'm about the 3rd person that they've called to
try and fix this problem and even I am not totally sure what's wrong.
I'm trying hard to look good but so far I haven't pulled through.
	The problem is this:  Steinway L, dampers go down with a loud
*thump*.  Most grands have a very quiet thump when you let off the
pedal.  This piano has a very loud thump, as if the felt is too hard and
the dampers are coming down crashing into the strings.
	Here's the rest of the information:

1.  Steinway L, built with teflon bushings about 1965, probably nothing
done to it since (except tunings).  Now in a college choir room getting
heavy use (no aftertouch, grooved hammers and knuckles...You know the
type...Needs a regulation desperately.)
2.  Dampers (especially in the bass) have a slight ring (2 to 3 seconds)
to them when you let off the pedal.  Since this piano accompanies a 150
piece choir, this problem goes relatively unnoticed.
3.  No apparent  loose aprons or splits in the bridge or soundboard.
Nothing seems to be rattling on the soundboard.
4.  My instinct tells me to change the dampers but I'm not totally sure
that this is the problem.  Choir director says this problem didn't
happen overnight but has been slowly getting worse.
5.  Pedals are stiff to push.  The up-stop rail is not in the way.  I
checked a 9ft Baldwin nearby for comparison.  The pedals on the Baldwin
are easier to push and have about twice the downtravel in the pedal.
6.  The noise is still present when the action is out and the pedals are
off.  I thought the problem might be the lifter tray coming down but the
felt seems to be good, although when the tray comes down, the dampers hit
and thump.  There is a slight distance between the dampers hitting and
then the tray coming on down to rest on the felts.  I feel there needs
to be a little more distance here because it seems like the tray doesn't
drop quite enough to silence the dampers.  There also doesn't seem to be any way to adjust this... is there?
	Any suggestions would be appreciated.  If I can figure this one out, the complete regulation will probably follow.

Ron Shiflet, RPT