rebuild or replace?

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 00:43:40 -0500

I'd be interested in hearing diffrent opinions about when schools should
consider buying new instruments as compared to having their existing pianos
rebuilt.

The school where I work was considering the purchase of 4 new pianos (2
verticals and two grands).  It is a small music department with 27 pianos,
(16 verticals and 11 grands) Six of the grands are Steinways, and they are
all pretty well worn out.  The first project is rebuilding or replacing the
S&S L in the piano prof. studio.

I'll either be sending this out to a rebuilder, or they could pick up a new
Yamaha C3 or C6 from the local music store.  What should I be considering?  I
can't decide which is the better choice.  (The technician in me likes the
thought that pianos get rebuilt, but I also think the school needs to get
used to the idea that there needs to be a gradual turnover in their piano
fleet.)

Gordon Large, RPT
Maine