Mystery Pitch Swings

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 00:54:27 -0600 (CST)

>...My question is: What would cause this wild raise in pitch in the console=
,
>especially above the bass/tenor break? My curiosity is really piqued. I wou=
ld
>appreciate any ideas from any of you.
>
>John Elving, RPT

Some possibilities: This particular piano is not stable due to
manufacturing, being moved since you were there, environment changes,
and/or string rendering difficulties.  Without being technical some pianos
lock right in while you are tuning, and you know the tuning is okay.  Some,
however, you can watch drift during the course of the tuning.

Simply put, some pianos are stable and respond like you wished all pianos
would, and some pianos don't respond in any reasonable fashion at all.
These ones that don't respond are those you wrestle with the entire time,
and when you leave, there's that defeated feeling, like you haven't
accomplish anything at all.  A crummy feeling to say the least.  Makes you
really appreciate the pianos that cooperate.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731