rebuild or replace?

Greg & Mary Ellen Newell gnewell@en.com
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 23:54:27 +0000

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996 00:43:40 -0500, PNOTNR@aol.com wrote:

>I'd be interested in hearing diffrent opinions about when schools should
>consider buying new instruments as compared to having their existing pianos
>rebuilt.
>
>The school where I work was considering the purchase of 4 new pianos (2
>verticals and two grands).  It is a small music department with 27 pianos,
>(16 verticals and 11 grands) Six of the grands are Steinways, and they are
>all pretty well worn out.  The first project is rebuilding or replacing the
>S&S L in the piano prof. studio.
>
>I'll either be sending this out to a rebuilder, or they could pick up a new
>Yamaha C3 or C6 from the local music store.  What should I be considering?  I
>can't decide which is the better choice.  (The technician in me likes the
>thought that pianos get rebuilt, but I also think the school needs to get
>used to the idea that there needs to be a gradual turnover in their piano
>fleet.)
>
>Gordon Large, RPT
>Maine

Gordon,
	Although I don't have direct experience in a College or University,
I am piqued by this topic as several dealers in the Cleveland area
have recently gone out of business.
	I feel that we as technicians may be partly to blame. Not everything
is rebuildable or even should be rebuilt. Just because it's possible
doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.  Haven't we all been to that
new customers house who have told us that the piano was "completely
rebuilt" [just what does that mean anyway] and you have to ask
yourself    ......   WHY?????
	With the piano sales in steady decline over these past  years it
seems it would only be in our best interst to condem these beasts a
little more often than we do.  Just my 2 cents!
				Greg
Greg & Mary Ellen Newell
Greg's Piano Forte'
12970 Harlon Ave.