Reyburn Cybertuner

Dean L. Reyburn, RPT dean@reyburn.com
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 00:29:25 -0400

Greg Newell writes;
>	I wonder if any of you out there have enough experience with Dean's
>newest offering to share your experience with it's use in high noise
>environments. This has long been one of the draws in having one of
>these toys. I feel that I do a good job tuning aurally when I can
>actually hear what I'm tuning but as we all know that aint always
>possible.  I just saw Dean's program in demo at our local chapter
>meeting and forgot to ask this one very important consideration.
>	Dean if your out there feel free to chime in a response if you wish.
>Any input from all the rest of you is also most welcome.

Thanks Greg;
Reyburn CyberTuner is all digital.  It uses a software digital filter to
get rid of everything but the one pitch for which it is single-mindedly
listening.

The point being that digital filters have a much higher rejection ratio
than analog filters.  RCT rejects noise in a similar way that digital
recording for Compact Disks rejects hiss and other noise in the recording
process.  In practice this bears out, and RCT works great under severe
conditions.  I sometimes tune for concerts where the conditions are, well,
less than optimum for aural tuning, and RCT comes through for me.  I've
never had a complaint on this, the RCT users just take if for granted
that it works fine under noisy conditions.

As RCT user Tom Cole pointed out, RCT's automagic noteswitcher doesn't
work as well if the noise is real bad or if the noise is close to the
note at which RCT is listening.  In any case RCT is compatible with the
Fairchild Accu-Pickup, a magnetic pickup available from Inventronics
or any SAT dealer for $75.  The magnetic pickup is stuck to the plate
near the sounding string.  This gives either the Sanderson Accu-Tuner or
Reyburn CyberTuner an even greater rejection of outside noise.

In practice I have never had to use the magnetic pickup in tuning since
RCT rejects noise quite well, I just use the pickup for experimenting.

Hope that helps!

Happy Holidays too all!

-Dean

 Dean L. Reyburn, RPT