Key Recovering Information

Travis Gordy tgordy@fullnet.net
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 23:37:50 -0600

When putting on a new set of naturals, I often use the covers that
enclude the front. I am not entirely satisfied with my table saw
technique for removing the old front and an appropriate amount of wood.
The last jig I devised was designed to locate the back of the key such
that the same amount was removed from the front. Worked fairly well with
keys that are made with all the tails in a nice streight line.  But I
think a jig based on the amount of the key to remove, rather than the
amount to keep, would be better. Tried that before but did not do as
good a job as I should. Have a Steinway recovering job to do next week
(while Christmas vacation leaves the piano idle), so before I get
serious about a new jig design, I know I will benefit from learning how
some of you do it. Will be most grateful to anyone who has time this
busy season to tell me how you shorten the keys.

Travis Gordy, RPT