Damper felts

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 23:36:01 -0800 (PST)

List,
	Thanks to all who responded to my post last week entitled
"mystery #4",  the Steinway *thump*.  The responses came back unanimous
to change the dampers.  Several people responding suggested that I use
Yamaha felt.  Since I had never used Yamaha felt, I thought that I'd
give it a try.  It came in today and boy what a surprise.  Uncut and
some assembly required (red backing).  Now I'll post my new questions
and this will (unintentionally ) start a new thread, I'm sure.

1.  Every method of felt cutting that I've tried in the past would
compress the felt as it went down and so the cut was sloppy.  Several
years ago, I gave up cutting my own felt and went to precut felt.  The
results are nice, straight dampers.  This new Yamaha felt is uncut and I
want to do a good job the first time.  Any suggestions for a way to cut
these dampers straight the first time would be greatly appreciated.

2.  Jim Sr., mentioned that he had a post of 5 steps necessary to do a
good damper job.  At the present time, I cannot access the archives
since I only have email and not the entire internet..  Does anyone have
this post?

	Again, many thanks to the great people who subscribe to this list
and for all of your help that you've given me.  Have a safe and enjoyable
Merry Christmas.

Sincerely,

Ron Shiflet, RPT
Phoenix Chapter